BQ keeps re-opening her head wound

TheWeeBee

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
Despite the e-collar she's been wearing, she's managed to really dig herself quite a trench on the back of her head. I made an appointment with the vet for later on this morning, if he prescribes antibiotics, is Baytril safe for quail like it is for psittacines?

My poor baby Bee :(

Baytril is safe for all poultry. However use it as prescribed by the vet and only for the days recommeneded. I hope she recoups ok.
smile.png

Thank you :) I figured that was the case but this is the first time I've had to get a BQ treated by the vet.

I called and they said she's doing well and that I can come pick her up at 4pm. I wonder if it's safe to use colloidal silver to clean the wound? I can't really get a hold of any medical-grade antiseptic cleansers unless my vet is willing to sell some to me.

Last edited:
You can also use neosporin on birds and will not hurt them. It is a great antibacterial and I use it all the time if I am out of blu-kote.

Bee was all stitched up. The skin surrounding the wound had turned necrotic (how could I have not noticed that???) and had to be trimmed. He loosely stitched the wound together, but didn't prescribe oral antibiotics. I forgot to ask him why. He said to keep re-applying a thin layer of Neosporin and, if all goes well, the stitches can come out in two weeks.

I also repositioned her collar higher up on her neck, but I'm still worried that she'll manage to reach her head with one of her feet. I also tried taping bits of surgical tape to her toes, which lasted all of 10 minutes
hmm.png

Looks like you have done all you can at this point. I would keep this bird in a fairly dim lit area for a while to keep her calm. Bright light may agitate her. When she starts to heal up, then put her in a better lit area. And definitely keep her away from any other quail till that thing heals.

Thanks again, TCR :)

I've got her in my spare 10 gallon tank so she doesn't have any rough edges that she might accidentally scrape her head on. I also have a towel over the top, with a mesh lid over that in case of a pop-up. I was watching her for the past 10 minutes and she's not able to scratch her head at all, only the underside of the collar. So I might be able to get some sleep tonight!

Luckily, she is a solitary quail so she has her own pad. I let her out with the others on the weekends so they can peck around and socialize, but she doesn't really want anything to do with them. She is happy to be a mommy's Bee ;) A Bee whom I can hear rustling with agitation because she itches and she can't scratch :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom