BR breeding jake

crealbilly

Songster
Apr 1, 2015
Southern Illinois, USA
I have two BR jakes and two hens. I need to decide which Jake will be Thanksgiving dinner and which one will be over wintered with the two hens. With hopes the hens will brood some chicks come early spring.

Which jake would you choose? The one on the left is just starting to get a beard. The one on the right displays more.

Another pic of the one on the left

And the one on the right

Last edited:
Unless you are breeding for standard, why not go with the one with the better personality. Or wait until closer to Thanksgiving and keep the bigger/more mature one. That way the offspring have the more robust genes. Just some thoughts.

Unless you are breeding for standard, why not go with the one with the better personality. Or wait until closer to Thanksgiving and keep the bigger/more mature one. That way the offspring have the more robust genes. Just some thoughts.

Thats exactly the kind of info im looking for... im totally new just getting started with turkeys and looking for a common sense approach to breeding.

Thank You

You're welcome. I don't have any turkeys but it's what I considered when deciding which of my male quail to keep for breeding. I'm hoping to get turkey when I move to a place that allows them. So sometimes I lurk in the turkey forum.
1f609.png

You're welcome. I don't have any turkeys but it's what I considered when deciding which of my male quail to keep for breeding. I'm hoping to get turkey when I move to a place that allows them. So sometimes I lurk in the turkey forum.
1f609.png

Ive been thinking about getting some quail but my chickens and turkeys seem to be enough for me at this time. I actually like rasing turkeys better than chickens. Turkeys are so full of personalty --->

Aw that's an adorable video. So cute how they talk back to her.
I've got quail, chicken, and duck. The quail are mostly for meat as that's the only thing I can easily raise in a small space. I'd have turkey if I could but I'm in the city. I'm hoping to move to a place with more land within the year so I'm doing research now to have a mental idea of what they'll need. I like the idea of having a turkey at Thanksgiving that I raised.

I sometimes open the turkey yard door and let her in. Turkey Toms stand taller then her, she shows no fear at all and all the turkeys want is for her to hug them. Its just plain stange how they've taken up to her like that. I feed and water them and they haven't taken up to me like that. But then again one Tom is named Thanksgiving -:lol

Last edited:
Noticed something a little odd today... the jake that displays a lot more than the other, is having the tips of his tail feathers plucked by the jake who has the berd and displays a lot less. I seen it happening...

Is this some kind of dominance behavior?

Here is a pic of the jake whos tail feathers are getting plucked by the other jake.

Noticed something a little odd today... the jake that displays a lot more than the other, is having the tips of his tail feathers plucked by the jake who has the berd and displays a lot less. I seen it happening...

Is this some kind of dominance behavior?

Here is a pic of the jake whos tail feathers are getting plucked by the other jake.

Normal behavior between toms.

Back
Top Bottom