BR chick scratching her head a lot...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lady Henevere, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Lady Henevere

Lady Henevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    New chick owner here. I got three chicks last week, and just added two more to the group today. One of the new ones, a baby barred rock, is scratching her head a lot, and shaking her head like something is tickling her. I don't see or feel anything on her head. She's eating fine and seems otherwise okay, but she scratches every minute or so. Is this anything to be worried about? Thanks very much.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] It does not sounds normal, however I have no idea what it could be!!! I love your screen name.

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    ooooooooo, I think she must have been reading the Mites thread. I know I've been all twitchy and scratching ever since I read it.

4. Lady Henevere

Lady Henevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    So that's what she was doing when I caught her on the computer! I knew I shouldn't have wired the brooder for internet. [​IMG]

She's doing it less now (scratching that is, not surfing the net), so hopefully it's no big deal.

Thanks, Debi -- I named one of the chicks Lady Henevere too.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:My BSL was going to have 2 brooder mates named "Lay" and "Dee" and her name is Gwenevyre. Her brooder mates got named "Nugget" and "Dumpling" (I love naming my hens food names) and she got stuck with Gwen. She's such a great bird! We luv her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by