1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BR Chicks from Speckledhen, My Phoenix and updated Favorelle Pics!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lockedhearts, Oct 6, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Here are my 2 Barred Rock chicks I hatched from Cyn's eggs

First one-Back
    [​IMG]

First one -Front
    [​IMG]

Second one -Back
    [​IMG]

Second one-Front
    [​IMG]

Favorelle from bantyman
    [​IMG]

Phoenix Chick
    [​IMG]

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Very sweet.[​IMG] We are related. I just hatched some of Mike's favs too. So our babies are cousins, or siblings or something.....[​IMG]

Enjoy them!

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    They are the cutest babies with their poofy cheeks!!!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, Karen. The first one is a pullet. The second could go either way, but I'm guessing cockerel. I'm positive about the first one. Cute little critters!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Beautiful babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Very cute! [​IMG] I have BR hatching this week as well.

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    So cute!!! I have some of Cyn's BR eggs in my bator due to hatch next week. Love them!!

8. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    According to THIS!!! (a guide to sexing BR and dominique chicks) your first chick is a girl (blackish shanks, little solid head mark), and the second is a boy(yellowish shanks, large frosty spot on head)...

VERY CUTE <3

9. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    I have some of bantyman's Faverolles, too (3 pullets, 4 roos about 2 months old). They just get cuter by the day and have great personalities. It's just a matter of days to be able to sex them because of the color difference between males and females. Do you just have the one SF chick or are there more?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Good guide. This method not 100% accurate, however. I've had at least a couple of girls, especially one, that had boy markings. And a boy that had more girly markings. I want to add one trait to that. You really must take all three traits together to make a determination, then take your results with a grain of salt. The down color on the pullets is very black, whereas on the cockerels, it's more "frosty", to use their word. Overall, males are a tad lighter, even at the down stage. When they feather out, they look more silvery.
    My Lexie, whom everyone knows, had a huge, splotchy headspot, lighter legs and was VERY silvery as a chick. She is the mother of many chicks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by