BR cockerel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luv dem chicks, Sep 9, 2011.

1. luv dem chicks

luv dem chicks Chirping

Mar 31, 2011
    Lunachick (on right) was delivered by US Postal Service 2nd week of May with 4 other chicks. All were supposed to be pullets, but this chick has confused me since I opened the box. Seems to "rule the roost". Hazzard a guess anyone???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is Lunachick with a sister from same group:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any information!!!

PS - What are saddle feathers?

2. I see a hen! [​IMG]

3. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Songster

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Ummm, looks like a Roo to me. Are the legs yellow or grayish? Is he/she lighter, more silvery that the others? Can't tell with the pics [​IMG]

4. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chirping

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    I"m new to BR's but in my experience, Dude looks like a Lady! He seems too light colored to be a gal. Here's my guy who had us all guessing a while back because he was darker than most BR roos. I put his pics here and we had about 60 percent roo votes. [​IMG]

And another pic:
    [​IMG]

He was supposed to be a girl too but it has become quite clear that he isn't. Now we're the only folks I know with a rooster named Madge.

He's really sweet though...

Saddle feathers are the pretty long, tapered feathers that grow down from the back near the tail. Hackle feathers are a shorter version that are on the neck.

5. Chickens rock!mysocks

Chickens rock!mysocks In the Brooder

May 29, 2010
    Oregon
    That has to be a hen, I'm pretty sure [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Pullet. She's lighter than most BR pullets, but so was my Lexie, may she rest in peace. I see no stringy saddle feathers, no huge comb, no rooster body type.

7. luv dem chicks

luv dem chicks Chirping

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks everyone, Legs and feathers much lighter than other four, I realize this doesn't always mean anything... Speckled Hen, sorry about your Lexie...Shouldn't have named this chick...don't want to get too attached to any of them, but I guess it's inevitable! Here's one more shot...

[​IMG]

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Looks like a hen to me!

9. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Songster

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I would definitely say a hen. Just from her body shape. Good luck!

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    She's all girl! I had a BR pullet that was lighter than most. Yours looks almost just like her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: