BR, Cuckoo Maran? Male or female?

jj384ev

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Wichita, Kansas
I have approximately a 6 week old chick I was told was a sapphire gem. Do you think it is a BR, Sapphire, or Cuckoo? Feathered feet, which I have never seen on other BRs I've had. I also think it is actually a roo because the comb is already starting to turn red and stands larger than my others. Thoughts?
20210410_171810.jpg

20210410_180343.jpg

This chick is the same age and we were told it is a Cuckoo Maran. Lots of feathers on the feet, some black coloring on the top. Do you agree? Is this a pullet or roo? I know nothing about the breed.
20210410_180346.jpg

Second one is not a cuckoo Marans, but may be a Marans mix. This one looks like a pullet.:)
That makes me feel better. She and her sister look exactly the same, same size (smaller than the first chick) and no dots on their heads as day olds. Just couldn't figure out if this was what it says it was breed wise. I'm interested to see what it looks like in a few more weeks.

That makes me feel better. She and her sister look exactly the same, same size (smaller than the first chick) and no dots on their heads as day olds. Just couldn't figure out if this was what it says it was breed wise. I'm interested to see what it looks like in a few more weeks.
The dots on the heads as chicks is a trait of birds with barred coloring. Does not necessarily mean they are male or female. Can in some breeds though but not cuckoo Marans, female chicks have them,too.
If your pullets are black copper Marans they will start to develop some copper colored feathers around their necks.😊

Back
Top Bottom