BR & EE gender help please? Pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lafemmeale, Oct 18, 2009.

1. lafemmeale

lafemmeale Out Of The Brooder

Okay, I"m going to try this again. These guys are 6 weeks old now. First is EE Whitie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is EE Alvin:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And BR Lulu:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the mysterious SweetCheeks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First one, pullet, second EE male, BR is a cockerel. Black one looks girly at this point.

BTW, does the BR have a single comb? Pic was a bit blurred.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Agreed!

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I agree with #2 & #3 being roos & #4 being a pullet, but I'm leaning towards roo on #1. The comb is already pink - none of my EE pullets had combs that pink until a lot older.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one could go either way, but I've had EE pullets with early red on the combs; my Barred EE, Riley, is a good example. The only reason I kept thinking she was male was the color of her comb, but it had a single ridge like the first one in the thread, so I'm leaning toward pullet for that one.

6. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I've got an EE that is making me go back and forth about his gender too! He just has that cockeral look about him, but he hasn't crowed and his comb isn't any bigger then the pullets...

7. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    rooster
    rooster
    barred rooster
    pullet

8. lafemmeale

lafemmeale Out Of The Brooder

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of... but I wasn't sure if pink was a sure sign of Rooish-ness & wanted some "expert" advice. I have THE most rotten luck with chickens! I've gotten 8 chicks & it looks like I might get 2 hens total! (one RIR from the previous batch). So needless to say, I don't have a whole lot of experience with pullets to know one when I see one! Thanks for everyone's help, I have until Thanksgiving to figure it out for sure, hopefully it'll be clear by then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by