BR face changing from light pink to red and back

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaxia, Aug 16, 2014.

1. jaxia

jaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    i have a 13 week old BR hen. ive noticed in the last few days her coloring changes. she will start out light pink and go to a pretty dark red and then back to pink again. her comb isnt really affected, just her lil wattles, ears, around her eyes and her comb. is this normal? also yesterday she honked at me. like a goose. i thot i stepped on a dog toy of some sort adn since i was outside the run i know i didnt step on her lol. she runs to the door when she sees me so as i walked up she ran towards me and honked. my silly Amy.[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yes this is normal. As pullets age their faces grow darker signaling laying age.

3. jaxia

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    why does it go dark and then back to light tho? the hub said something like blood pressure? but he knows just as much as i do about chickens lol

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I've noticed that in my girls too. I'm not exactly sure why! LOL[​IMG]

5. jaxia

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    ok well i feel tons better knowing its "normal".

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It's likely nothing but keep an eye on them. Changes in comb color from red to pink to black (but not necessarily back to red again) is an indication of low oxygen concentrations.

7. jaxia

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    ok. i havent seen any black yet so thats good but i will watch for it. thanks!!

8. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

My red sexlinks do that. I think it has something to do with the mood.

9. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

My only BR's feathers are now getting a red tint where there was white. It looks strange. We've just started to notice this in the last week. She's 22 weeks old and hasn't laid and egg yet (unless she's my soft shell egg layer on the poop board at night). We just saw her squat for the rooster for the first time this morning. They (both roosters) usually don't bother her because she runs and screams bloody murder.

10. jaxia

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    this is interesting, id b very interested in pix if you can. i honestly cant tell you why this would happen but im curious all the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by