BR girls are out of quarantine and in with their rooster....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bburn, Nov 10, 2010.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I overthink everything.....my two hens and three pullets are well past their quarantine date with no issues. I put the hens in with the rooster today and he is a champ. We are working on their permanant coop and we turned them out into the enclosed garden as we were going to be right there.

He chattered to them the entire time they were out there and showed them where the good stuff was. He watched the sky and made sure they were safe.

The three pullets have been separated from him by chicken wire (that he could have flown over at any time but was always too busy dancing for them on the ground. The coop is not completely done but my DH put the roost up for them and then blocked them all....including the pullets in the coop. The hens pecked at them but let them up on the roost. We will get out there early in the morning and turn them loose into the run for a while with assorted treats to distract them and then when we start working on the coop we will turn them all into the garden. Told my DH we needed to get out early enough to let them out of the coop before big issues arose.

I am unsure the exact age of the pullets....they are the size of the almost two year old hens but do not have the guirth yet. The lady I bought them from guessed them to be 18 weeks and they have been in quarantine for 5 weeks. I don't think they are at POL.

I know I have to let the pecking order happen. I am prepared for that.....there are places in the coop for the little ones to get away. I will let it happen and it will kill me....but I know it has to happen.

The question I do have however.....how often will a roo breed a hen? This guy was second roo and got booted by the alpha roo. Thus, the second coop and run and the new girls. So, if a rooster could be frustrated, he is. But, he seems to be not too rough. But.....how often. The other roo with the other girls takes care of business but there are more girls.

Am hoping I have done everything I could to ensure good intergration. I know the rooster is pretty happy at least....lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by