BR hasn't laid in 3 weeks, x-rays show no eggs, but I feel something

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BWchicken, May 31, 2010.

1. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I have a young bantam BR 10 months old who normally lays 5-7 perfect eggs per week. She eats flockraiser with free choice oyster shell. She acts fine, but she stopped laying over 3 weeks ago. I can feel something small, roundish and kind of firm, but not hard like an egg, in her. So I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago. X-rays showed no eggs and he felt her and said what I was feeling was her intestines, but I'm not so sure. He is a highly regarded vet, but is used to seeing parrots and such. He was a little surprised that she lays nearly every day and since he couldn't find any reason for her not laying, he said she was probably just taking a break. He is the only vet anywhere near me that sees chickens, but I don't think he understands a chicken's laying habits. I find it odd that a young BR would stop laying for this long for no apparrent reason. She's not broody, not molting. It's been hot here, but the others are still laying fairly well. At this point, I don't know what to do next. I can still feel that 'something' in her. Could this be infection or a tumor I'm feeling? Wouldn't that have shown on x-ray? Or maybe it really is her intestines? What should I be looking for, what should I do? I figured my only choice was taking a wait and see approach since she still acts perfectly normal, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

2. jerry2009

jerry2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    1, 2, 3, Breath!!!...your feeling the gizzard i do it all the time and freak out thinking its a stuck egg...even when it feels like a stone its only the birds gizzard.. [​IMG]

3. BWchicken

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    The gizzard, really? Gosh I hope you're right! I thought this thing was too far back to be the gizzard though. Okay, let me give a little more detail and see what you think. It's about the size of a ping pong or golf ball, roundish and sort of firm, but not hard. I can move it around a little bit, but it stays in the same place. It's not between the legs, and not right below the vent, but between these two areas. Is that where the gizzard is? I thought it was further forward, more between their legs. I'll feel silly if it's just her gizzard, but very, VERY relieved! Although that still wouldn't explain why she's stopped laying for so long. [​IMG]

4. BWchicken

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    The vet called today for an update. I didn't get to talk to him, just the receptionist, and I never heard anything back. Go figure.

5. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    He probably doesn't know what to do.....
    This sounds so frustrating! Keep us posted!

6. BWchicken

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Well there's been no change. It's going on a month now since she laid. Still keeping an eye on her and hoping for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by