BR Hen, 1y/o, is sneezing and has some Respiratory distress.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrwoodboat, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    I was out with the birds today and noticed one of my BR hens not joining in with the others getting treats. When I watched her for a moment, she was sneezing and had some obvious respiratory distress. Removed her from the population and she felt a bit light so it would appear she has not been eating or drinking. Started her on Tetracyceline with a dropper every couple of hours. After 4 hrs she seems to be a bit more lively but is still raspy sounding. She did peck at some grains but not so sure she ate much if at all.
    IS there anything else I need to be doing for her? I was considering adding some Pedilite to the anitbiotic solution but not sure...

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Vet Rx is a very good poultry remedy for respiratory ailments. You can find it online or at most local farm stores in the US.

3. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Forget all other remedies you have heard of. Don't use tylan 50 or any other antibiotics that need needles! Trust me.
    Just last summer I had brought in a cute little salmon favorelle from a chicken swap and she made herself right at home. Little did I know that she was carrying a respiratory infection with her that is highly contagious! I was too late and by the time I found out, my flock of 15 was completely infected.
    Symptoms included sneezing, runny poop and TONS of cecal.
    Heres what you need to do: go to your nearby tractor supply store and find an antibiotic called Duramycin 10. It's in a yellow package and is for treating cattle and poultry. Just add 1 Tbsp of this stuff for every gallon of their water. It turns the water yellow. It takes about two weeks to cure the whole flock but trust me it's worth it! It only costs $5.49 a bag too!
    Its what I used and it worked great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by