BR Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCchicken, Sep 23, 2010.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    First and foremost, thank you in advance for any and all opinions. I am a new egg so please excuse the new chicken ignorance. I bought Lucille, my Barred Rock, at a Flea Market about 4 weeks ago. She recently (within the last week) started to crow in the AM for about 45 minutes. I have yet to see an egg from her (I was told that she was about a year to a year and a half), I have two silkies who are laying and an EE who isn't laying yet. Also, yesterday when I let them free range after I got home from work, for the first time I noticed that Lucille kept picking on one of my silkies ( the second highest hen of the group). Then saw her stand on top of her for a moment or two until I shooed her off. Lucille is most definitly the top hen of the 4 (got all four within the same week or so). She is somewhat skiddish of me but will eat out of my hand from time to time. She and my EE flare up their neck feathers and charge eachother daily but never make contact. My EE (third in line) could care less about her. Is Lucille a Hen or Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is Lucille next to my EE for a size comparison
    [​IMG]

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Sorry to say, but Lucille looks like a roo to me. Climbing on another chicken's back is probably Lucille trying to mate with that hen.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Rooster

4. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    CockadoodleROO!

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Rooster, for sure, and a nice looking one. I hope someone didn't sell it to you as a hen. Anyone with experience with BR's would have known even four weeks ago that that was a roo. They are one of the breeds that are easier to tell apart early on.

6. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Oh no!! Really, a Roo??? I can't have a roo. Well, in that case, anybody want a free BR roo? I live in the Wilmington, NC area. He's nice to me, kinda shy at first but nice. I can't believe I got douped, well actually I can [​IMG] *sigh*

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Can you take it back to the person that sold it to you at the flee market?

8. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    100% Roo

9. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    That's what I think I might try to do. Take "Lucille" back and see if they can take "her" back since I asked him for a laying hen and this is what he gave me. Ugg, all I wanted was a happy hen house. Does it matter if I tell you that my EE when I first got her, she would "attack" my white last in line silkie? She doesn't do it much anymore. My EE would see her from accross the yard and run over to her and stand on top of her and peck her head. I can honestly say I haven't seen her do that in a few weeks though. I just assumed they were working out the pecking order. Still waiting for my EE to lay. The woman I got her from said she wasn't laying yet but should in a few weeks. Thanks everyone for your opinions, it is greatly appreciated to this new egg [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry, but you got scammed - that's a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by