BR look alike

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LFchixranch, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    I got a hen that is with my Barred Rocks 15 weeks old. She is lighter in color and the barring almost looks blurry. Her tail and carage are different as well. I noticed today she flies very well and has yellow ear lobes. I will post a pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Looks almost like a cockerel to me...

3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I agree, it looks like a cockerel....

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X2!!

5. LFchixranch

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    Nope, I have 5 other BR Roo's. Shes to dark, and the roosters her age have 3-4 times the comb/wattles

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not pure BR or at least not true-to-type breeding. There looks to be a whole lot of Leghorn-type in the tail, body type, etc.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks to have more of a cuckoo pattern instead of barring...possible mix or just bad type

8. LFchixranch

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    Yeah I agree with there is something in the mix but I have no idea what. Could be leghorn as she is very flighty. IDK about a Cuckoo, I know the leg color is wrong for that. I guess since shes a mutt I might as well throw her in with an EE Roo and make more mutts.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Here's the thing? It isn't popular to say. But a huge proportion of hatchery stock has had Leghorn bred into them, most hatchery stock "breeds" of all kinds. Why was this Leghorn "snuck" into all these lines? To increase egg laying. Plain and simple. Years ago, there used to be laying contests and folks buried some Leghorn genes into most of the American class of birds. It is what it is.

Since most of these American class birds are composite breeds, it is very simple to do. Within a generation of two, the Leghorn is mostly covered up. The dominant Barring of the BR males covers a lot. But, the barring goes fuzzy or cuckoo. That's a give-a-way. Look at Good Shepherd Barred Rock and you'll quickly see the crisp barring of a bird without "pollution" to the gene pool.

So, what happens is that some typical birds, even 8 or 10 generations later will sport a body type of the Leghorn or Mediterranean breed that lies deep in it's background. It happens.

Here's true bred Barred Rocks, just be way of comparison. Pretty easy to see, no?

Utility Barred Rocks feather out much faster, lay earlier, and often more prolific in their laying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LFchixranch

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    That helps alot thanks. My roosters dont have that barring but the are 17 weeks so I hope it gets better. I find the difference on one breed to be very varried, here are 2 Dark Cornish hens,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by