BR Male or female.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EquestrianEm, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    All chickens have spur bumps at that age; full grown too. You would only be able to tell by spur bumps when they get about a few months old. And your chick is way to young to give you a for sure answer on gender. As far as the feather sexing, his/her feathers seems to have double rows, so I'm leaning towards pullet. But, this isn't always 100% accurate, and there is always a chance that it could be a roo. Wait till the chick is about 4-6 weeks old then post a pic, and then we should be able to give you the definite answer. Roosters tend to develop pinkish red combs at any earlier age that hens do. They also get red wattles at any earlier age as well. Pullets' combs and wattle grow and color at a much older age than roos.. somewhere at around 6 or 7 weeks is when the girls start to get their pink combs in, and may begin growing wattles. My 6 and half week old girls have very pale, almost a creamy yellowish white comb, and they are barely starting to pink up at all.
    My 4 week old rooster has a very pink comb, and already has a tail arch[​IMG]

I hope all of this info helps!!! Best of luck with the new babies![​IMG][​IMG]

-ftfarmer22

1 person likes this.
  2. EquestrianEm

EquestrianEm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    I can definitely get a better leg shot! Gonna post it in a little bit. :)

3. EquestrianEm

Mar 17, 2016
    Oh my gosh!! Now I'm not sure! LOL! I bought her at a local feed store and the lady told me she was a Barred Rock. I just did some research on the Marans and it looks exactly like her to!

4. EquestrianEm

Mar 17, 2016
    Thank you SO much!! This is so helpful!! I will be posting another picture of her in a few weeks. :)

5. EquestrianEm

Mar 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those are girly legs for sure [​IMG]

I'm still leaning toward cuckoo Marans. Hatchery stock cuckoos don't always lay a much darker egg than a Rock, unfortunately. As she grows, if she's a Marans, her feather patters will be a bit "messier" than a Rock, that's the difference between cuckoo and barred basically. Anyway, she's a she and that's the important thing, right?

1 person likes this.
  7. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    You are very welcome! Can't wait for the 4 week old pictures![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    yep girl legs! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. EquestrianEm

Mar 17, 2016
    HHH!! Thank you so much for your help everyone!! I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

10. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

How do you tell if the legs are girls or boys?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by