BR mixed Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by confusedgirl, Jun 9, 2016.

1. confusedgirl

confusedgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Ok so awhile back I hatched eggs from some barred rock hens and a big beautiful rooster that I don't know what breed ( I posted him before trying to find out but no luck). He was black with green tail feathers with a purple sheen on his feathers. Anyway, I hatched 11 out of 21 eggs (2 EEs 6BR and 3 solid black chicks). Unfortunately I lost a BR and a black chick. Now the barred rocks a a month shy of maturing and from what I understand of chicken genetics is that if my roo is not a BR then my chicks are probably roos , but out of the 5 two of them has a fairly pale combs(compared to the others that act and look like roos). Could this mean that its possible I have 2 hens rather than roos or I'd it a nutritional type thing that they are lacking? What do you think?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If the father was not barred, any barred chicks you have from this cross are black sex link males.

3. confusedgirl

confusedgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    That certainly helped thank you! Now my next question, what would my EE mixes be called? One is mostly black the other is white ( like his mother)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

All of your chicks are barnyard mixes. You don't have any pure barred Rock birds, if the father wasn't a barred Rock the chicks can't be barred Rocks. They can be barred in color, but they're not Rocks. Just like you could breed a pure bred Labrador female to a random black mutt dog, and the puppies would be mutts, not Labradors.

From the crosses you describe, all your barred birds are black sex link males. Your solid black chicks from brown eggs would be females. Any black chicks from the EE momma would not be sex linked and you'll have to wait to sex them by conventional means--comb, color, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by