1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BR On Her Back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracy the chick, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi yesterday my little 16 week old Barred Rock was laying on her back, i first thought she was dead! i picked her up and checked her over then put her back down and she ran off... Today I found her on her back again with her legs in the air shaking and freezing cold because she was laid in a puddle!. I still carnt see anything wrong! soon as you turn her the right way round she's fine [​IMG] Ive got her inside next to the radiator... Anyone out there experianced this or any advice what it might be??[​IMG] Tracy...

2. henpeckedmuch

henpeckedmuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Guessing here, --could it be seizures?

3. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hummmm could be... Shes totaly fine when i pick her up... Thanks. Tracy xx

4. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Could she have eaten something toxic- old, moldy food? Potato skins? Clematis vines? Tomato plants? Toxins can produce seizures at times. Cold, wet puddle jumping and hypothermia could have done the rest. I would definitely go through the yard/run/coop looking for something that looks tasty to her that might not be good for her.

EDIT TO ADD: The title of this thread created a completely different tongue-in-cheek response, initially. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Check for moldy feed as well. Also inspect her for lice/mites. It does sound like seizures.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It does sound like seizures. I found my finch like that alot near the end. Then I saw what happened. It was a seizure.

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have observed a behavior similar in some of the bobcat kittens I have worked with. What I have learned, is that when they have pnemonia, they will do what my mentor taught me is a "death roll". They will flip over upside down to try to get the fluid in their lungs to move so they can breath. It is never a good sign, and these kittens are always the hardest ones to save. Though what you are describing does sound like siezures, I just wanted to throw another possibility out there. Is her breathing rhaspy? (You may have to hold her close to your ear to listen for clicking or rhaspiness).

At the very least, I would keep her away from whatever it is she could be getting in to (I would go on a hunt to see what looks interesting that could get her into trouble). Good luck with her.

8. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thanks everyone, i went out tonight and when i came back she was just lying on her back again, feet in the air just looking at me! She is in a cage in my house still... I put her on the kitchen floor and watched her walk, totaly normal then she went to peck the kitchen table leg, jumped up and spun round on her back! She dosnt make any attempt to try and get back on her feet!.. Im at a loss... I disinfect all there food & drink bowls once a week, skip poop out every day, there coops are new so no red mite... Only thing i can think might be moldy is she lives in a huge apple & plum orchard, theres lots on the floor that are femented..(should of made more pies) and where ive moved a wooden shelter there was mold under it... All im giving her at home is ACV in water, mashed egg and some chick crumb so its easier to digest... I will just keep a close eye on her...Tracy [​IMG]

9. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Really? Fermented apple and plum? hmmmm

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Fermented?????? Maybe she's drunk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by