1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BR or BSL. What age can you tell? *pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jossanne, Nov 18, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    These packing peanuts are 4 weeks old tomorrow. Is it possible to tell yet if they're BR or BSL yet? At what age can you tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yellow legs, single comb, barred - barred rocks.

3. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    What color legs do black sex-links have? They're barred and have single combs...

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

I don't see odd reddish neck feathers coming in.​

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks!

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's a cockerel...whichever it is. Usually the BSL males have more "blurry" lines than Barred Rock males. THEN AGAIN...hatchery BR males are more blurry than the standard calls for.

But...I don't see any reddish feathers on the neck either. So hopefully it's a barred rock. Either way...it's a cockerel.

7. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks Mikarod, I knew it was a cockerel. No guessing on this one! Still trying to decide if it's worth keeping one, or if we'll eat them all. I didn't want to keep a BSL cockerel, but am considering keeping one if it's a BR.

8. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well...if all of them are males...that look like that...I'd say it's a pretty darn good chance that they're BSL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by