BR or DOM? (six month old pullet)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cassandra, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I ordered this one from Ideal and supposed to be a dominique. I don't know exactly what a rose comb looks like, but her comb is different from all the other hens I have. I am putting a full body pic (sorry for the blur, she was moving--little hussy!) And a close up of her comb. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cassandra

2. shnookey

shnookey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Wichita Falls, Texas!
    Looks like a rose comb to me! [​IMG]

3. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    its a rosecomb

4. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    it's been second, so guess I'll 3rd it.. [​IMG] It's a rosecomb!

5. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    woohoo [​IMG]

How could I tell if she is good enough to breed (I mean close enough to standard)?

Cassandra

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    It's a rose comb, but not a good one. Check the dominique website:

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/

They have the standard listed on their website and a whole bunch more info. [​IMG]

7. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :loveYeah, another dominique owner. It is confusing. My roo has a very profound rosecomb. But now that I think about it I will have to check my hens a little closer when I get home.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Congrats on your Dominiques [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Not a terribe Dominique-I see no reason not to breed her [do you have a Dominique male?].
    Dominique females don't tend to have as good a rosecomb as some other breeds-your bird's comb isn't the best but it's also not the worst I ever saw. At least it has a leader.

9. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I don't have a rooster yet. I will have to start looking for one. I hadn't really fancied myself a chicken breeder. But the Dominique interests me. I understand they are becoming less common. If I could find a good looking rooster and make more of them, I would. I don't want to be passing on any mutty traits, though. And I would like to be certain that I have what I think I have.

From what I have read about breeding and line breeding and inbreeding of chickens... well I'm still confused. I bred dogs at one time and it seems breeding chickens is NOTHING like that.

Dog breeders will tell you to only breed dogs that match the standard and try to produce standard puppies. I don't know how that works with chickens. If I get a so-so hen a pretty good rooster, I don't know how that helps or hurts my chances of getting true to standard chicks. But I would think that for people who are interested in saving the dominique, that close to standard chicks would be preferable than those not so close.

I feel like I'm rambling. Am I making sense?

Cassandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by