BR owners, please come tell me what you think!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenLittle09, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ChickenLittle09

ChickenLittle09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    California
    When we brought this BR pullet home at 1 week old she already had a prominent comb that was orange in color. Most recently it’s begun to turn pink.
    In the last picture I circled one of two pointy feathers that stick out on either side her rump. Nowhere else can we see them pointed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I may be wrong, but it looks like my 2 BR pullets at that age. One had a bigger comb early on, and the other not until later. I think cockerels are usually lighter as well. I'm no pro...

The experts will chime in, I'm sure.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    It's a girly

4. ChickenLittle09

ChickenLittle09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    California
    Yay!! I was worried when those two feathers started to show.

PhiladelphiaPhlock, do your girls have the pointy feathers?

[​IMG] and thank you for such fast replies!

5. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'd have to check to see if there are any pointy ones or not. I have 12 mature pullets now, and every one of them I was convinced was a boy at one point or another. I was looking for saddle feathers, and sickle feathers, and hackles like it was my job. I had a couple of accidental roosters, but they were quite obvious. I didn't have to look hard at all.

I think she would be a little young to get too many rooster feathers, but her coloration and comb are just like my girls. My girls who started laying eggs today! Don't worry about a couple of feathers. She'll change quite a bit more before it's all said and done.

6. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'd have to check to see if there are any pointy ones or not. I have 12 mature pullets now, and every one of them I was convinced was a boy at one point or another. I was looking for saddle feathers, and sickle feathers, and hackles like it was my job. I had a couple of accidental roosters, but they were quite obvious. I didn't have to look hard at all.

I think she would be a little young to get too many rooster feathers, but her coloration and comb are just like my girls. My girls who started laying eggs today! Don't worry about a couple of feathers. She'll change quite a bit more before it's all said and done.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's a pullet.

8. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I would have to say cockerel. The comb and wattles are very red for the age. Well, time will tell...

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes that a little BR pullet.

Like Phillyphlok said; She's a little young for male sex feathers to start coming in. She looks to be around 8-10 wks. old probably still going through the juvenile molt stage. Usually, you won't start seeing pointed feathers till in between 12 and 16 wks. on males. note I said usually.

catdaddy

10. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I have 2 BR Roos and 5 BR hens. Some of my hens got early comb development and one was a lighter black (gray) colored. BUT this is a pullet. Roos are VERY light and saddle and hackle feathers very thin and pointy. My BR hens have a little area of short but WIDE curly feathers around their tails (at the base). As I understand they have an oil gland there and will preen their feathers. As they mature they will get bigger, but not like a ROO who has thin, long, stringy, blows in the slight breeze kind of tail feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by