BR pale comb +wattles swollen..Feet red ..any ideas ? Pics included .

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unionwirewoman, Jul 21, 2008.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Got back from our honey moon on friday and noticed the next day one of our BR's was laying down quite often and very pale . Her lobes and wattles are swollen , and her feet are scaly and red . We don't have a feed store here that sells medicine for chickens within 200 miles . Anyone know what this is , or what I can do for her ? The rest of the flock are doing fine...no sign of illness . Any info would be great...here are some pics .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How old is she?

I've never seen anything like this before... hopefully we'll have someone come on soon that can answer your question.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

By any chance is there a scab on the foot? Could it be a case of bumble foot that may have spread?

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Quote:No scabs , she just kinda lays around more than usual , and I have caught her quite a few times standing on one leg . The right is worse than the left . My main concern is her lobes . The picture doesn't do it justice . She is VERY swollen in her lobes and wattles . VERY pale compared to the others and what she usually is . Anyone have ANY ideas ? We're going into town tomorrow , and I called our friend who is a vet .....so if there is a medicine out there for her , I might be able to ask my friend if she can get it ??[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of that produces swollen wattles is fowl cholera. Do a google for that and see if it matches. I certainly dont like to go to the worst case scenario first, but it's the only thing that comes to mind.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm not sure, but I hope she feels better soon... [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The least worrisome scenario is that she was bitten by something and is having an allergic reaction to it, but it's really hard to say. Dont know if the red legs and feet have any connection to the swollen wattles, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by