1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BR roo. How's this guy look?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by can you hear me now?, Oct 3, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    How's this guy look he is about 3 and a half months old now. It is a hatchery bird but really slow to develop. I have my hopes. I guess my.question is how good does he look towards standard of perfection?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Nobody knows standards of perfection today? I didn't figure on an answer when I posted last night but am hoping for o.e today. I know there are more knowledgeable people out there than I am.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    He looks very commercial.
    Hard to tell too much from the picture but the barring is very smudged and not crisp like you would see in a Exhibition or even a good Heritage Barred Rock..

Chris

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    He looks like exactly what he is, a hatchery type Barred Rock.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Bingo.

Never expect a hatchery born Barred Rock to have some show qualities to him. [​IMG] He's got smudged barring, a rather basic body (closed tail, thin overall body) pale legs that honestly look pearly pink, not yellow.

But as a backyard rooster, he's just fine. [​IMG]

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Just to make sure I will take better pictures and hopefully it either looks better or I can try to breed better barring with my other ones. Time will tell, and thanks for the answers I really appreciate that.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    There is no reason to beleive he will produce stock any better than himself. With a lifetime of breeding and many thousands of chicks, assuming you have the expertise to make great selections you may wind up with stock that is nearly as good as the stuff you could acquire today for far less than you will spend trying to improve on this bird.

The fact than you asked the question is an indication that you have some interest in the standard. Why not enjoy the search for a good starter group of birds and save yourself a ton of time and money.

Not trying to be harsh or critical just giving you a bit of truth about where you will end up with stock of this type.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No yellow legs, either. BRs have yellow legs. If he's even a BR, he's a very poor one, truthfully, and the leg color being wrong clinches it. Even my own BRs, hatchery and several generations removed from the hatchery, all have bright yellow legs.

9. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:Went to get a better picture he not gonna make it for.good.standard. anyone have an idea of how to vet me some better heritage standard breed?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Even hatchery Rocks are great birds, though. I love Rocks! Hopefully, he'll be a great boy just like the BR roosters I've had and loved.

See this pic of Dutch when he was 8 weeks old? See the legs? That's what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by