1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BR roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by quiverfull, Aug 20, 2013.

1. quiverfull

quiverfull New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    We are new to the site...and since we are newbies to chickens as well, we're hoping for some wisdom from site members. We had 27 BR chicks, 25 pullets and 2 cockerels. They are now 20 weeks. About a month ago we had the misfortune to lose the alpha roo (who was definitely a roo) to a wandering dog. The other roo seemed to have disappeared...he didn't develop at the same rate as the other one, and looked like all the hens. However, recently, he seems to have developed more, but we are still in doubt as he isn't as light as the one we lost, nor as statuesque and proud. Could anyone help us? Here is a pic of him (he's in the foreground). Any help is appreciated! :)

[​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I think you have a "she".

3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    That looks like a pullet to me. The body shape and coloring both look female. At this age, there would be noticible hackle and saddle feathers coming in. She's looking like she's really close to laying if she hasn't started yet. :)

4. quiverfull

quiverfull New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Oh, that is disappointing. :( We had hoped that "she" was just a late bloomer because the other roo developed so quickly.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry about that. But there is one good thing, Barred rock roos are very mean so your safe for now. [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Maybe YOUR barred rock roo was mean, mine's just fine. Please be careful posting sweeping statements about a breed like that, lots of new folks here take everything on this site as gospel!

7. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    My BRx roo is a sweetie. Granted he's kind of a big baby, he's terrified of humans and hides when they get close. He's a very gentlemanly rooster to his girls though, far better than my previous roo who was an Easter egger. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by