BR rooster??? You tell me!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redirtchickens, Mar 7, 2013.

1. redirtchickens

redirtchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    This is the one with the larger comb. Rooster?? 5 weeks on monday
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one has a smaller comb and its the color of her beak-hen
    [​IMG]

I purchased 3 barred rock day old chicks from IFA, they will be 5 weeks on Monday. One is whiter than the other 2 and has a larger pinker comb. What throws me is that it is very friendly doesn't have big tail feathers and is smaller. I'd love some input.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    For sure the top one and pretty sure about the second one bieng a roo

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cockerels are often precocious. They are outgoing in most cases. The cockerels will often have shorter tail feathers, at first, as well.

With Barred Rocks, 5-6 weeks is the time to know for virtual certainty. The cockerels will be brighter, more white boldness to their barring. They will sprout pinkish red combs and little wattles under their chins. The pullets will be darker and more spotty/cuckoo in barring. The pullet's comb will remain yellowish for many more weeks and no wattles will sprout.

[​IMG]

Heritage Barred Rocks

[​IMG]

Hatchery stock Barred Rocks

4. redirtchickens

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks, Im thinking that it is for sure a roo and now I have another one that I'm watching. Ugh! I was going for pullets.

5. redirtchickens

Mar 7, 2013
    Here are some newer photos of my fella. The weird thing is that hes smaller than all the other girls. Aren't roosters supposed to be bigger? They are all 7 weeks. These are my first chickens...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are my two girls Big Mama ( shes really heavy)and No Name yet for the other, any ideas?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    yup hes a rooster, not all chicks grow at the same rate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by