BR runt_sick or just small?_pictures!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BooneChicks, Jan 16, 2011.

1. BooneChicks

BooneChicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I have three, 9 month old BR hens, one has been small since she arrived as a chick. The runt started molting in late Oct, and has not finished molting (notice pin feathers). She has not layed since then. She also has had occasional bubbles in her eyes for the last 3 months (see pics). I haven't noticed any other symptoms, or any change in the runts condition for months. All three are eatting well. All three have been living together since they were chicks.

I am hoping to get more chicks in the spring. Is my runt sick or is this just genetics? Are my 2 large hens carriers? Will I be exposing new chicks to disease? Should I cull the existing hens and disinfect the run before getting new chicks? Should I cull just the runt, or not at all?

I posted a similar question before, and got some much appreciated advice from Speckled Hen on respiratory diseases. Since my runt has been stable for months, could this be something other than a respiratory disease?

Many thanks in advance for your advice & suggestions!

Jen

[​IMG]
    Healthy sister hen

[​IMG]
    Runt right eye

[​IMG]
    Runt left eye

2. BooneChicks

Dec 3, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I could give them antibiotics (I have tetracycline on hand), but the runt does not look that bad. What I am worried about most is all 3 of the hens being carriers for a respiratory disease. I don't want this to be an issue when I introduce several new chicks in the spring.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It's a crapshoot with respiratory illnesses.
    I personally would isolate and try the tetracycline. I'm sure molting knocks down their immune system(or at least I think it does).
    Other things besides contagious diseases can cause respiratory symptoms(I'm probably gonna get a beat down for saying that, but according to my avian vet, it's true).
    Problem is, without knowing which one it is, you almost don't know what to do.
    Good luck to you and your birds.

4. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    i would suggest using something like an injectable LA-200 or maybe some tylan.

5. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Not at all sure about the bubble in the eye but as for her size, I dont think I would worry at all. As long as she acts fine and eats well I'd say shes a keeper. I have a buckeye that was very small from the start, she acts good and eats fine. My gamecock buddies were telling me she needs culled because something was wrong with her but she is now 1 yr old she still has some of her fluff, she is about the size of a small bantam and buckeyes dont come in bantam. She is a great pet I am not sure she has ever laid an egg but she is super friendly much like a dog, follows us all around. I plan on keeping her indefinitely.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:If this is an option-I absolutely agree.

7. BooneChicks

Dec 3, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Thanks for the advice! I guess trying the tetracycline on just the runt couldn't hurt and is probably a good idea. I guess I will never know if what she has is contagious, since my other 2 birds have never shown any symptoms.

8. BooneChicks

Dec 3, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I will also look into injectable an LA-200 or maybe some tylan. Thanks! She is cute, I just don't want whatever she has to infect any other birds that I might get in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by