BR with a touch of silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bluebyrd, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Bluebyrd

Bluebyrd In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Puna, Hawaii
    Just Curious -

This is Little Bit, she has always been half the size of her sisters, she had one extra toe on one foot, and her feathers seem different ( see pics). Is she a mixed breed? crossed with a silkie maybe? Or just an odd barred rock? Are they just baby fuzz still? I don't think its a health issue because she is very active, eats well and is social with the other birds and us. Any ideas?

She is very smart and very cuddly, the kids adore her. Here she is actually resting her neck on my sons shoulder to get a neck rub. Such a sweetie.
    [​IMG]

half the size of the rest of the gang
    [​IMG]

see the long wispy feathers, longer than the "normal" part of the feather, mostly on her "saddle" area if girls have that. they are kinda hard to see.
    [​IMG]

All of her feathers kinda split like this......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    She's cute!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    You said she had an extra toe, but other than that I don't really see any mix in her. If she were mixed with a silkie, she would have feathered feet most likely. I've hatched out 5 silkie mixes this year (4 EE mix and 1 BR mix) and they've all had feathered feet. They've also had a little group of feathers that stood up just a little.

Also, is that all of the chickens you have? It looks like you only have a few hens and a bunch of roos, which isn't going to be a good mix come spring.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    She looks like a bantam Barred Plymouth Rock to me, but it could be that she's also a much smaller largefowl Plymouth Rock.

The "wispy" feathers your seeing looks like a problem of "picking". Looks like your larger birds are picking on her and ripping up her feathers.

5. Bluebyrd

Bluebyrd In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Puna, Hawaii
    Also, is that all of the chickens you have? It looks like you only have a few hens and a bunch of roos, which isn't going to be a good mix come spring.

Kinda. I have babies in the brooder that will be added later, and the roos except one are on their way to new homes.......... sooner now since......

The "wispy" feathers your seeing looks like a problem of "picking". Looks like your larger birds are picking on her and ripping up her feathers.

I haven't caught anyone picking on her until today, two of the roos were picking a bit on her today during treat time...I didn't think much of it except that I 'd better keep an eye on the situation. Now I know its time for the extra boys to go!!!!!

I sure wish I had known that the wispy feathers were a sign of picking before now!!! [​IMG]

Thank you -rodriguezpoultry for posting! She is hands down the families favorite and I feel awful, but at least now I can fix it!

Anyone on the Big Island want some pet EE roosters?​

6. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Songster

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    She might be a BR?silkie cross.

7. Bluebyrd

Bluebyrd In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Puna, Hawaii
    Thats what I was thinking, like 90% BR and 10% silkie. I'm not so sure its the others picking on her cause I went and looked at her to check for damage I might have missed and look at the feathers again. the odd feathers are pretty much all over, even places I doubt picking would happen. and the long wispy ones are from the base to the tip or they just lok like fuzzy butt feathers....although I haven't ruled the others picking on her out, I'm not 100% sure. The only thing i can do is observe and enjoy our little one!

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Songster

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    There is no Silkie in that bird. She is just one of those birds that have traits that baffle us.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The only BR that I kept (she is lowest in the pecking order and looks like heck) has really downy feathers like that. And she's small. I've tried everything from pine tar to saddles. I got her from McMurray some time ago. Where did you get your girl?
    Even tho mine is an odd ball too- she's sweet, and I plan on keeping her.

10. Bluebyrd

Bluebyrd In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Puna, Hawaii
    I got my little "odd ball" from a small local feed store here, I have no idea where he gets his birds from. She has always been small with the odd feathers from start...we too love ours as she is smart and cuddly! and awfully cute! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: