BR with blue/green flight feathers. is she a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by midd2005, Sep 23, 2010.

1. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    hi all,
    so i have 4 BRs who have all been growing very nicely. they are 8 weeks old now, and i noticed just yesterday that the biggest of them all (she has always been the biggest), Big Bertha, has an all black flight feather on each wing. in the sun it's green/blue.

up till now i was pretty sure they were all hens. she is definitely big and a little farther along in comb and waddle development than the others, but given that she has always been growing the fastest, this makes sense to me.

she has the black feathers with the light white barring (i.e. more black than white), just like all the others. she has a dark splash across her feet just like the others. she is shaped just like the others, though a little bit bigger.

is it possible, bertha is a roo? do hens get blue/green feathers ever?

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Pictures would help.

BR cockerels are almost usually lighter colored than the pullets, right off the bat that's a pretty good indication of who's a boy and who's a girl.

3. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    BR cockerels are almost usually lighter colored than the pullets, right off the bat that's a pretty good indication of who's a boy and who's a girl.

right. that's what i've been going off of. and she is definitely dark...

but then the 2 blue feathers.

i'd take a pic, but it would be very hard to even see the coloration that i'm talking about. mostly i'm just curious about if the ladies ever get blueish feathers too?​

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    At 8wks we had no problem picking out the Roosters both Bar and Buff, the Buff Cochin was suspect, and also was a Rudy. The 3 Barred stood out like neon with their light coloring and some of the hens had those dark feathers you mention. Some of the hens were also alot bigger then thier brooder mates. I would venture you have a hen.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My BR has a greenish feather as well and she's laying eggs, so, I guess they can have them sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by