Brabanter Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cottage Rose, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Anybody else here besides Jennifer/Solsken Farm have them?
    I've been looking for a white egg laying breed for some time now and I think this is the one I want! [​IMG]
    Please post your photos and comments.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I have them. I got them from L&S chickens. Their faces are starting to get redder, so hopefully I will have some fertile eggs in the next month or two. They are great birds and I really love them! Playswithfowl

4. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    So do all the sources of these birds come form the same place?
    Ideal and HandHPoultry?

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    They seem to all come from Ideal, even if a few generations back.

6. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Yea, I have not been able to find anyone that didn't get their start from Ideal at some point.

7. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Really? Thats interesting.
    Where did Ideal get them from?

8. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

These birds were extinct around the turn of the century, Vicky. They were prolific before then and can be seen in some of the classic Dutch paintings. The breed was recreated in the early part of the century. Birds used to be allowed to be imported into this country. Also, a large hatchery could import for the fees and hassle, I suspect, due to their large numbers.

I was told that there are some private breeders with imported stock, but they will not surface and share the breed in any way. Not sure if this is true.

I have seen some good examples and some not. So going with a selective breeder who has worked with them would make sense. Mine came from HandH, apparently, and I think they are really great looking birds. Their markings are beautiful, their poofs and correct as are their combs, and their conformation looks lovely. I would recommend HandH over Ideal....

The eggs are reasonable from them as well.

I hope this bird gains in popularity. I think it is a fabulous white egg layer. I am going to play around with the spangles and my Ameraucanas.....to see what I can get.

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm getting a bunch from Ideal in the spring. I wanted to make sure I was getting a good roo/hen ratio to start with, and I didn't want to run the risks of shipped eggs.

10. Cottage Rose

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I wonder where Hand Poultry got theres from.
    I think I will email them and see what they can tell me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by