Brabanter Chicks - Male or Female?

birdwatcherohio

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Bethel, Ohio
I have 5 Brabanter chicks that are 4 weeks old, so it's still a bit early I think to determine if they are pullets or cockerels. Does anyone know how old Brabanters need to be before it is obvious if they are males or females? Also, can someone give me any tips for what to look for to tell the difference?

My Buff Orpingtons are 5 weeks old, and it's pretty easy to tell the difference; but something tells me it might take longer for the Brabanters.

Thanks!

Do you think you could post some pics so I could tell? You can tell if it's a roo or hen by looking at the legs to see if any spurs are big and looking to see if they already have long tail feathers.

Unfortunately, I'm still a "New Egg" so I can't post pictures. I did try looking at the tail feathers to determine sex. I have 2 in one brooder and thought one looked to have longer tail feathers than the other. When looking at my 3 in the other brooder, I didn't have a clue.

I haven't tried looking at their legs yet. Thanks for the advice!

since this was posted a couple years ago, i'm hoping you might have an answer to your question, as it is now my question, too. :) i have two of them, they'll be 4 weeks old saturday. one has a much more visible (MUCH much) bumpy, pink comb under it's "hat", as my daughter calls it. i have noticed a difference in their feather color brightness, but i can't remember which was on which at the moment. did you notice anything distinguishable at that age that turned out to be a difference later? thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom