Brabanter or Ancona? What to choose?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bring, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Which one would you choose? I want a bird that's good looking as well as lays frequently, large eggs, and doesn't go broody every week. I'm having a hard time deciding. I like the idea that I would be helping the Brabanters make a come back but is there a high demand for fertile eggs or chicks? Anyway, all opinions welcome.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Why not both [​IMG]

3. PulletPalace

PulletPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have 2 Anconas, a rooster and hen, in my mixed flock of 19. The hen has never gone broody and seems to lay lots of white eggs. The rooster has tons of character and does a lot of talking, which is really entertaining. Sorry I don't have any experience with the Brabanters. One caution: my Anconas are very flighty and don't like to be picked up. But that may have been due to lack of taming on my part. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Chickenoverload

Chickenoverload Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    CT
    I have an ancona and i thinks she's beautiful. they do lay good white eggs and don't go broody too much. The only downside to her is that she doesn't really like to be near people but i didn't get to spend a lot of time with them as chicks. if you handle them a lot when young they should be good. hope that helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by