Brabanter question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brindlebtch, May 12, 2009.

1. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    When i got my gold brabanter from Ideal you could see just a hint of a beard and muff, but now tha she is 10 weeks old this seems to have disappeared. Will she get it back?

2. Brindlebtch

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Anyone know anything about Brabanters?

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I have cream brabanters. None of them have lost a beard, so I dunno what to tell you. I would *suspect*, though, that if she doesn't have it at 10 weeks she ain't gonna have it. Sorry!

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you ever breed your cream brabanters to golds?

5. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    NO.

There is enough question about the purity of cream brabanters as it is, since cream is not a recognized variety in Europe. I have no intention of muddying the waters even further!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Does it have wattles? If so, you might have a Spitzhauben. Or she could be going thru a molt.

7. Brindlebtch

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Nope, no wattles.

8. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

There is enough question about the purity of cream brabanters as it is, since cream is not a recognized variety in Europe. I have no intention of muddying the waters even further!

As is obvious I don't know much about Brabanters. I have only seen pics of them on Feathersite. They do look rather like Appenzeller Spitzhauben with beard & muffs. I am curious about the plumage colour genes(as usual). [​IMG] I hope you don't mind my asking questions. Mostly I am curious to know whether the "cream" was referring to the cream gene "inhibitor of gold" often called lemon or citron. Which is why I asked whether people crossed the two, in order to hear the results of such a cross.
    Regarding mixing the colours......if one knows the genes involved & how to predict the general outcome, sometimes it can be advantageous to mix colours. Just an idea, & not everybody's cup of tea. [​IMG] I'm presuming there is no question of the "purity" of the gold brabanters. Working on the assumption that the cream is the 'ig' gene, crossing the cream with the gold could be used to bring them in line with the gold's type, thus improving quality. If the 'cream' is 'ig', it is quite easy to work with; it is likely that this is the only difference in colour & thus the golds could be used to improve type in the cream &/or to freshen up bloodlines if necessary. [​IMG]

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Hey there --

Questions are GOOD things. Unfortunately, I have no answers! I'm not sure ANYBODY does, in fact.

It would nice if the "cream" in cream brabanters was due to ig. But I just don't know whether it is, or not. I don't know the history of the variety, but it appears that all the cream brabanters in this country come from Ideal -- and we all know just how much the big hatcheries care about color genetics!

Perhaps a few years down the road I'll do the crossing experiments you mention. Right now, I'm just trying to improve on Ideal's stock in a very basic way.

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Here is my beautiful roo, Saturn, who lacks beard. His Bro is'nt as impressive, but has a great beard! I'm hoping to blend the flock some how!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by