Bragging on my Cockerel...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolB865, Sep 1, 2016.

1. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    I have to brag on what a good "rooster to be" my cockerel was last evening. I'm a first time flock Mama and mine free range.

Every now and then my oldest shih-tzu, Bailey, she's 11, gets a wild hair and wants to chase the chickens. Last evening was one of those times. Bailey was off after anything that would run! Sammy, my cockerel got her attention by running in front of her and led her off in a completely different direction until I could get my hands on Bailey and take the "bad dog" back in the house. [​IMG]

I told my husband that's what a rooster is for, he protected his flock from a predator. So, I truly am a firm believer that having a "brave rooster" around is good thing!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's exactly what a good rooster will do, sacrifice himself for his hens, what a good boy. He's very pretty.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Is he a silver penciled rock? He looks like mine and mines a awsome boy too! Only 4 months old.That breed has the BEST roosters!! Mines brave, good and gentle with his ladies and our family too! Mine wears a no crow collar so he does not bother our neighbors. It works incredibly well! He was such a great roo i had to keep him!! He lets me hold him and hes NEVER bit me once!!! TRUELY A WONDERFUL BREED OF ROO!!♡ [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    Sammy is a bantam EE, 16 weeks old. This was him as a baby...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by