1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Braham Hen not eating, is Falling Down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BetsyRsChicks, Sep 12, 2016.

1. BetsyRsChicks

BetsyRsChicks New Egg

Oct 23, 2015
    My beautiful Hen has been sick around a week, at first she just lost her balance and fell and then gradually got worse and is now not eating or drinking and can't really move around much. The only other symptom that I have observed is that she will open and close her beak - almost like a clicking sound. She doesn't have bad breath like in SourCrop. I've been feeding her through a syringe with a formula my Vet had recommended in the past ("Exact" - Handfeeding - Baby Birds) with a little antibiotics mixed in. My husband doesn't want me to spend the $80 at the Vet and she isn't getting any better. I feel like I am doing her an injustice and should just let her go. Any suggestions, input? Thanks, BetsyR

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How old is your hen? Lameness can be caused by a variety of problems, such as an injury, a vitamin deficiency, from weakness due to dehydration, from being eggbound which can cause a temporary nerve paralysis, and from Mareks disease among others. A clicking sound can be caused by a respiratory problem, and I have seen that with a leaking air sac caused by injury. Was she. vaccinated for Mareks disease? What antibiotic are you giving, and what dosage? Is either leg or wing paralyzed, or can she move them at all. How does her crop feel--empty, full, soft, or puffy? With many problems in chickens, it can be a guessing game as to what is wrong, and giving supportive care with feeding and watering, adding vitamins, electrolytes, and some form of probiotic or plain yogurt, can be helpful in case it is temporary.

3. BetsyRsChicks

BetsyRsChicks New Egg

Oct 23, 2015
    Thanks so much for your response. She is around a year old - one and a half at the most. I had been out of town for five days week before last and when I came back I saw her fall down. For the first few days she did that but was still eating and drinking. But now she doesn't eat or drink on her own at all. Last night I picked up one of my healthy chickens and was amazed at the weight difference. She isn't getting any better and I feel bad force feeding her. At the same time she is hanging in there, enjoying a couple hours outside each day and dozing on my recliner during the day. No, I haven't had any of my chickens vaccinated for Mareks. I will have to check with the Vet since it can be quite expensive - but I don't know what he would charge for my 24 chickens (19 adults and 5 chicks). I read about Mareks disease and it says there is no cure. I have only had chickens for a year and a half and am still learning how to take care of them for all their possible needs. Her crop feels completely empty and she isn't really paralyzed - can move a few feet. She is just very unsteady on her feet and falls over on her side. She will put her wing out to steady herself and her legs are weak but when I'm holding her she was curling her toes around my fingers. I've been giving her Duramycin-10, Tetracyclinehydrochloride soluble powder according to the directions (1 mg per gallon. Thanks so much for your possible feedback!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds weak and possibly dehydrated from lack of food, water, or perhaps, a vitamin deficiency. Is she low in the pecking order where she may be reluctant to go to food and water? Some chickens will not drink medicated water since it can taste bad. Some use fruit juice or citric acid to flavor medicated water, or you can give the medicine with a syringe in a concentrated form so the water is left alone. I think vitamins including riboflavin which are in some liquids such as Poultry Cell could be useful. I like to give a bit of scrambled egg mixed with a teaspoonful of plain yogurt daily for a boost. Mareks vaccine is best given as day old chicks in a hatchery--giving it now would be too late. It may well not be that anyway.

5. BetsyRsChicks

BetsyRsChicks New Egg

Oct 23, 2015
    Thanks so much. She wasn't low in the pecking order before she stopped eating. For the last 3-4 days she hasn't been eating on her own and I have been tube feeding her. I am not sure if I should just let her go now since she is so weak now and isn't improving at all. She does struggle when I tube feed her though so that encourages me. I am definitely conflicted. I will start providing vitamins for the other chickens as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by