Brahamas feet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Smilin Teri, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Smilin Teri

Smilin Teri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    Can the feathers on a Brahamas feet be cut back ?? Trimmed off ?? I took in a Brahma hen a few weeks ago and my hens (NOT BRAHMAS) pull her feet feathers out-Notice just now they pulled some more out and blead a little--WHAT CAN I DO ?? I am thinking they are not use to feathers on the feet and may think something is wrong--I DON'T know new at this and its bothering me--

2. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't risk cutting/trimming the feathers on the feet. I have Lt Brahmas and a Cochin/SLW mix that have feathered feet and have never had an issue. When cutting feathers that close to the chicken, you run the risk of bleeding.

3. Smilin Teri

Apr 30, 2014
    I am at a lose because MY HENS pluck her feathers right off--I am feeling really bad but they see that as different--She didn't grown up with mine--Don't know what to do

4. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

could try coating her feet with some anti peck lotion. they sell it at TSC. I would not trim the feathers because some are blood feathers and it hurts when feathers grow back. also, if her legs look really rough you should check for leg mites. I thought my other chicken were pulling off my buff brahma roos feet feathers but really it was leg mites. Ive been treating with vaseline for about 2 weeks and he looks 10X better

5. Smilin Teri

Apr 30, 2014
    THANKS Debs55 will apply Vaseline in the morning --IF SHE HAS MITES How do I get rid of them ????

6. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

if you search leg mites in the search bar it will give you a lot of information but this is what I did.

1) I brought him in and washed his legs with dawn dish soap and warm water to get all the gunk out from under his scales. I also cleaned them with some peroxide cause he had some bloody spots where feathers were broken off

2) I coated his legs down with a THICK layer of vaseline. I did this for about a week and a half

At first I left him in the pen and he was getting better, but one day I came home and saw blood all over his legs. I think when the dead scales started coming off the hens were pecking his legs. After that I cleaned his legs again and applied neosporin and separated him. That was maybe 3 days ago and I am already seeing new feathers grow back in.

7. Smilin Teri

Apr 30, 2014
    OK when my hubby gets home WE ARE going to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by