Brahma a hen or a rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kjh, Aug 12, 2017.

1. kjh

kjh Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2017
    IMG_2105.JPG
    "She" is about 5-6 months old and I'm concerned that those are saddle feathers.... is it possible that is just what these giant Brahmas look like? I don't really want a rooster with my three hens and I've gotten attached to "Florence"... IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2104.JPG

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    Looks like a rooster.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Can't say 100% since I have never had any Brahmas but it does look like saddle feathers to me.

4. hales39

hales39 Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017

Attached Files:

5. kjh

kjh Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2017
    hmmm, so hard to say, but they sure look like saddle feathers. How many hens does he have? I heard that you need at least 7-8 per rooster and I only have three. I didn't really want more than 4, but I don't want him to wear my three girls out if he turns out to be a rooster... ugh

The Angry Hen and Peanutman69 like this.
  6. hales39

hales39 Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    I have 10 hens but 3 are bantams so I don't know if they count!?

I acctually have 2 Brama roosters because they were sent with the hens I ordered (one too many!) but I don't have the heart to get rid of one! They are starting to crow and get on the hens...does "Florence" do that??? Maybe there is hope he is a she!!!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pointy hackle & saddle feathers - cockerel

morganalefae likes this.
  8. Relynn

Relynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2017
    Are you sure that is a Brahma? That looks like an EE to me. However, I am by no means an expert... But I have had 2 brahma's a rooster and a pullet... the rooster was a bantam... my pullet is a full size.
    Also, Brahma's have feathered feet... I need to get better pictures of Mocha, because she is way older now...
    IMG_4702.JPG

9. kjh

kjh Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2017
    technically "she" is a mutt. The guy just lets his chickens breed however, so my easter egger and my arcaucana are probably part something else, and "Florence" my Brahma looks like she has a little easter egger in there. I wanted all different eggs if I could do it. I was hoping those two would lay blue and green and Florence would lay brown (that doesn't look like it's in the cards...) My leghorn already lays white (she is a little older because she was the stray that started all of this...she is probably the only pure bred lol). I attached pics of Abigail and Margeaux. They are beautiful. I could have gotten pure bred birds, but this guy really loves his birds and takes good care of them, so I felt safe going with him. Margeaux on the left is a beautiful color and she is very sweet. Abigail is pretty flighty.
    IMG_2107.JPG IMG_2108.JPG IMG_2109.JPG

10. Peanutman69

Peanutman69 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2017
    Hi, I think I have found a rooster in my flock of 12. Please let me know !! Thanks DSCN0038.JPG DSCN0038.JPG DSCN0037.JPG

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by