Brahma at 7 weeks....am in a gal or guy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Montana-Hens, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    This is the last of my great unknowns. This he/she was bought as a sexed pullet. She/he is now 7 weeks old.

I know that Brahma's develop slower but am looking for you experts to shed some light on this girl....or boy

Here is her face...
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of her comb.
    [​IMG]

Here are two body shots....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what are all your thoughts on this one. Thanks for looking and your input.

2. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    im pretty sure its a hen.....she/ he looks really good though, gonna be a great looking bird [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My friend has a roo buff brahma and that looks like a hen. Hers has a bigger comb.

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    i have two light brahmas. I'm pretty sure one is a roo and one is a hen.
    yours looks more like a hen to me. my roo has a bigger comb with more red and he is only 6 weeks old. he also has wattles.

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Just a guess, but our light and dark brahmas had much lighter smaller combs at 7 weeks and they all turned out to be pullets. No roos, so I can't say for sure.... but what a beautiful bird!!!!

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    I'd say a pullet probly.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Looks like my buff brahma pullets, who are 8 weeks old. For some reason, my buff pullets have developed darker combs than the lights or darks; yet they are pullets.

8. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Thanks for all your input on the Dolly Brahma's sex. This is my first time with chickens and all the red/pink scared me. I am thinking male. This one is my only Bahma and so have nothing to compare it with.

When I look close it looks like she has a little yellow pea comb, but I keep on looking at the pink/red and say he....or she.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Based on the fact that there are no wattles forming at this age, I'd say it's a pullet. [​IMG] But I've been wrong before! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Montana-Hens, since you mentioned that you do not have any other brahmas to compare yours to I thought I'd post a few pics of mine to help you out.
    The first pic was taken at exactly 8 weeks old, the rest were taken today and they are almost 9 weeks now. Note: It is not the same chick in each pic. Hope this helps you in some way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by