Brahma Breeders thread

Pics

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
Folks, the previous Brahma thread was closed due to the bickering that broke out in the last few days. It will remain closed on the forum for future reference.

We expect ALL members to work together to make sure this one doesn't end up spiraling downward.

Please remember that there is ALWAYS a way to get your point across without being rude, inconsiderate, and/or arrogant. Please put a few seconds of thought in before you his the post button.

The previous thread is located here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/169790/brahma-thread

This new thread is located in the Greeds, Genetics, and Showing" section for a reason; it's to discuss.........you guessed it...........breeding, genetics, and showing. This section is for folks who inted to breed with exhibition in mind or simply wish to preserve the Brahma to the SOP for the breed. Of course, ANYONE may post in this thread; just know that many folks posting here regularly may not sugar-coat their replies.

If you simply love the breed and have a few Brahma from a hatchery, culls from a breeder, or are not interested in breeding for exhibition, there is a more casual Brahma thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734972/backyard-brahmas this thread is located in the Pictures & Stories of my Chickens area.

Lastly, if you see a post that you feel breaks rules, DO NOT REPLY to the post or quote it - please report it so that Staff can take action if necessary. If you should have any questions, please contact a Staff member.

I've learned a lesson with Darks. They're not as hardy as the other colors. I don't know why but if they stress they're done. I don't know if it's the same with the bantams but the LF Darks aren't good.

That is just a ridiculous, anecdotal, statement. Maybe in your personal, limited experience....under whatever conditions you provide for your birds(and whatever line you were working with,"hatchery"). There are folks who will read your statement and take it as gospel. It is just 100% factually untrue. Forgive my candor....I just had to blow the whistle and throw the penalty flag on that one. Alan Feaghly was mentioned as a quality breeder. He is. There are others as well....Robert Anderson, John Neff, Dianna Delaney. I am sure I have forgotten some? That is all. I will return to my lurking now.

900x900px-LL-715d191c_60393_pen_7.jpeg

Light Bantam breeding pen from a few years back.

From the photos....he looks pretty good. Looks to have decent width. Also, a male bird younger than one year is a cockerel. A male bird over one year is a cock. A female less than a year is a pullet. A female over a year is a hen. On cage cards, Cockerel is K, Cock is C, Pullet is P, and Hen is H. If you are serious about exhibiting, you should learn and use those terms. Not trying to sound rude. So please don't take offense.

Tim

That is just a ridiculous, anecdotal, statement. Maybe in your personal, limited experience....under whatever conditions you provide for your birds(and whatever line you were working with,"hatchery"). There are folks who will read your statement and take it as gospel. It is just 100% factually untrue. Forgive my candor....I just had to blow the whistle and throw the penalty flag on that one. Alan Feaghly was mentioned as a quality breeder. He is. There are others as well....Robert Anderson, John Neff, Dianna Delaney. I am sure I have forgotten some? That is all. I will return to my lurking now.

Just to tag onto Tim's response.

I remember reading something years ago that was directed toward breeds of dogs, specifically the differences between the varieties of retrievers. It said something to the effect that when using blanket statements regarding any breed, it is wise to remember that there can often be just as wide a variance between members of the same breed, depending on their breeding. He was talking about personality traits such as being hard headed/trainability, willingness to work in rough cover, or conditions, reaction to strangers, and so forth. He went on to give examples of hard charging goldens that were tougher than some chessie's he had trained. Lab's, or goldens that he was more worried about being a biter than the famously suspicious of strangers chessie. I think the idea can be applied to varieties of chickens as well in many cases.

I try not to make blanket statements, or speak in absolutes. If you stay at this long enough you just might witness something you had previously thought impossible

I don't know of any serious breeders of QUALITY birds that sell chicks. VERY few sell hatching eggs. I would recommend going to an ABA/APA sanctioned show in your area this Fall. Meet breeders of quality Brahmas there. Most sell adult birds only. Buy a trio or a couple of pairs of the best birds you can afford. Hatch the eggs from those birds. IMHO the BEST way to get a good start in quality birds. Join the American Brahma Club, buy a "Standard".

Tim

The first chick ever hatched by me happened at 520am. It's name is Amelia/Amelio. Depending if it's a girl or boy. I peeked in at 430ish this morning and it had pipped but nothing else. So between 430 and 520 it hatched. Now I'm waiting for the other 4 to hatch. Yes it was egg number 8. I'm so happy. I have a brand new Brahma chick of my breeding.

Back
Top Bottom