1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahma Breeding Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brahmabreeder, Feb 24, 2012.

1. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I recently purchased three buff brahma hens and a rooster at the ohio national. The rooster died the other day,sadly[​IMG]. But my question is when I do get my new rooster on monday how should I go about breeding my brahmas. When I tried earlier this month my eggs werent fertile and my rooster was about 10 months old. The guy I got him from is selling me another rooster thats the same age. He said hes able to breed right now. If anyone has any tips for me to try to breed my brahmas that would be greatly appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] This is definately a question that I would reccomend posing to the man that you are getting your rooster from. If the hens and/or rooster have excessive feathering around their vents you might consider plucking some feathers to improve their chances of making contact. I have no experience with brahmas so I really do not if excessive feathering causes breeding problems with them.

3. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    The man i bought them off of recently mentiontioned that he does clip the down my their vents.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Clipping can leave uncomfortable 'stubble'. Because of this many choose to pluck some of the excess feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by