1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahma breeding

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by JK Farms, Mar 26, 2017.

1. JK Farms

JK Farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Tennessee
    I have a buff Brahma hen and I'm getting some Brahma chicks. I want to breed Brahmas but I would like to get different colors and I want the hens to raise their own chicks. What should I look for when buying? I'm getting chicks and am in the process of getting my only adult hen to become broody any suggestions?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I am not sure of exactly what you are questioning with your post? But making your Brahma's go broody is not something you can do----you might encourage them by placing a nest of fake/but real looking eggs in a nest and leaving them--But that might not work either? If you are going to get chicks and give them to one of the hens to raise-----very low chance that will work---more of a chance she will kill your chicks. Put them in a well set-up brooder and raise them would be a lot better.

3. JK Farms

JK Farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Tennessee
    I'm raising some chicks now but what I mean is what should I look for in a Brahma hen that's more likely for her to want to hatch her own? I'm just trying to see if I can let them hatch instead of me hatching for them? I've got to find some more where I'm at they're hard to find.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not know of anything to look for in a hen to see if she will go broody. I get Hens that are known to go broody/hatch---when they go broody I place what ever eggs/breed I want under them. Brahma will probably go broody ever now and then. Old English game and Silkie's will go broody often. I set 72 broody hens in 2015, 60 was probably Old English game. Those 72 broody hens hatched about 700 chicks.

5. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Or get eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by