Brahma Buff Columbia

Imo that's a cockerel, because of the darker feathers and the comb.

Wish mine was that easy to sex. But it seems no one knows 100 % sure and he is almost 5 months old !!!

Can anyone (experienced with buff brahmas) give me confirmation so I can return him to breeder please and change for a pullet ?

Thanks
Dries, I think your bird is a cockerel. Brahmas are tricky as they can be so slow to mature, but the bird just does not look feminine to me at all. At this age a pullet would have a softer, more rounded look. Your bird has that leggy, gawky look of a teenage boy. Looks like a triple row of pea comb, and darker shading of buff on the wings, both male signs.

This bird is in Belgium (colder climate), so maybe that's why it's developing so slowly ?!

Finally could capture this darker feathers under his current feathers:

100% rooster I guess now ?!

I would certainly guess cockerel.

The Brahmas overseas have a different standard. I don't know what they officially should look like; but they always seem much lankier, longer, and have vulture hocks compared to the US birds. So they may indeed be slower growing and give a much different impression than what many Americans may expect.

I would certainly guess cockerel.

The Brahmas overseas have a different standard.  I don't know what they officially should look like; but they always seem much lankier, longer, and have vulture hocks compared to the US birds.  So they may indeed be slower growing and give a much different impression than what many Americans may expect.

100% agree! I was wondering if they were from a different country. Many breeds develope much different and have different standards compared to American chickens. Definitely thinking cockerel. It also looks like there may be a bit of a green sheen to one of the tail feathers, if that's not the camera playing tricks with my eyes? That would definitely point to cockerel.

Last edited:
Thanks, and if I show you these pics from 1 week ago (13 weeks old), because some people told me it's a rooster ?

These pics are taken in the evening with the flash so maybe the colours are a bit off.

Back
Top Bottom