Brahma chick is ill. Suggestions?

DeeAnn5

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Hello. We bought 3 hens (a Brahma and 2 Cinnamons) from a man here in NW Missouri on Wednesday. He had just purchased them the same week at a Missouri auction, and the Brahmas had come from an overcrowded situation so they had no feathers on their backs. (I noticed a Cinnamon with one eye swollen shut in his chicken yard when we purchased these 3.)
On Thursday we returned one of the Cinnamons because it's eye was glazing over and it seemed congested with some nasal discharge. The chicken seller said that it was just stress but that doesn't seem right. Now the Brahma's eye is shut and I'm afraid it's going to die. What can I do? ...I do have some Amoxycillin powder-form antibiotic. Will that help it? Photos below.

Last edited:
The two pictures of the eye were taken tonight. For now, the right eye is okay. The two pictures of the whole chicken were taken yesterday. Forgot to mention that the chick, Molly is actually still eating. I have her quarantined in a dog tent in the garage.

Attachments

• DSCF3287.JPG
    DSCF3287.JPG
    453.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3286.JPG
    DSCF3286.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3248.JPG
    DSCF3248.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3249.JPG
    DSCF3249.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I spent some time tonight studying a link from this website to try and figure out what is happening. I read the symptoms of most every major poultry disease. The one thing that resonated was mycoplasma gallisepticum because there was foamy exudate from the eyes of the other affected bird that we returned. The sick Brahma does not seem to be having respiratory trouble and poop seems normal. The symptoms appeared suddenly overnight last night. I intubated her earlier today with Amoxycillin since she didn't seem thirsty. I have her in the garage. It's really cold outside so at least it's a little warmer inside. I'm waiting for some feedback on the pictures and hoping someone will see this...

The missing feathers are just on the back and so seem consistent with the story, but I will look into the mite possibility. In the meantime, now the white one is now ill and also has the puffed eye.
I've decided to keep and hopefully provide supportive care in the hopes they will recover. I checked the Brahma over this morning. Her crop is normal and there is no swelling except around the eye.

The one in the 3 rd pic looks like a rooster-- I could be wrong. You may not want to hear this, but I would return them all to the breeder and not ask for my money back. They likely have all been exposed to mycoplasma (MG) or possibly coryza, and will all be carriers for life, even if they don't show symptoms of illness. I would not start a flock with sick chickens, since any disease will just keep going on and on as long as you have one carrier left to infect the next one. I would get some baby chicks in the spring to start over, and the respiratory disease would not last more than several days in your environment.

If you do chose to keep them, Tylan 50 injectable can be used and given orally--0.2 ml per pound to each chicken showing symptoms twice a day for 5 days. Weigh them, since Brahmas are heavier breeds. Sorry about your problem.

Edited for mispelling correction.

Last edited:
I agree. The Brahma (possible cross) with the feather pecked back is looking like a cockerel to me too, so that might be another reason to return them if they have been sold as pullets. The fact that the seller bought them at auction and then sold them on so quickly tells you that they are not reputable, because that is the easiest way to spread disease. I feel sorry for the birds and I can understand you wanting to try to cure them, but you have been ripped off by someone trying to make a quick buck out of people who don't know enough to be wary or are soft hearted enough to buy sick animals rather than walk away.
I'm not experienced enough to advise on medication. Usually I let respiratory infections run their course and thankfully I haven't had a bad one that needed antibiotics.

Yes, the white one and Brahma were ill and were humanely euthanized today. There was an odor to them, so I feared coryza and it seemed likely that this was the correct diagnosis. May post a new thread on what to do with the 3rd bird, out of the 3 we purchased Wed. she is the only survivor. I have her in my garage currently.

Back
Top Bottom