Brahma chick, is it a roo?? And another chick breed question...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommyofthree, May 23, 2011.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Sorry the pic is terrible, I used my bad camera!! I'm wondering what color these Brahmas are supposed to be (got them from a friend who didn't know) and also is one of them a roo?? The one in the back has a large red comb already while the other does not, I think they are 6-7 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

And wondering what breed this one is, it's about 6 weeks old. Is it a RIR??
    [​IMG]

2. monicawilcox

monicawilcox Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Sebastopol, CA
    To be honest, the chicks in the top pic look alot like Porcelain d'Uccles to me. I have some that look just like that. Purebred Brahmas come Light (white w/grey), Buff (beige w/black) and Dark (dark grey pattern). Not sure what you have there.
    I have a couple of RIR's and they are a much deeper mahogany color than the one is your picture. Hope someone else can help.

3. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Thanks!! I googled pics and they do look like Porcelain d'Uccles!!! All I know is that they have feathered feet and the lady that gave them to me said they were Brahmas. [​IMG]

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Those top two definately look like porcelain d'uccles. I have 3 of them in my brooder right now that look the same. The one in the back looks like a roo and the front one like a pullet. If they are d'uccles the boys develop red/pink combs very early, and the girls do not.

5. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    The red one looks like my New Hampshires.

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    The first picture is a pair of Porcelain d'Uccles [​IMG]

7. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    The red looks like my New Hampshire pullets. They're really friendly birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by