Brahma Chick. Male or Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thecountrychickengirl, Jul 5, 2010.

1. thecountrychickengirl

thecountrychickengirl New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    I bought this chick at the feed store, straight run. The only thing I know about it is that it's a Brahma. Anyone want to take a guess at how old he is, and what gender? I also have a bantam chick that follows "Chirp" around. I think it's too young to guess gender, but anyone know what breed or mix it might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Your buff brahma chick is perhaps 5 weeks old. Little too early to tell gender (for me, at least) but I'm going with cockerel. It would help to see a full body pic, with the chick standing.

I'm no help on the other chick at all, sorry. I know brahmas and that's about it.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A bit young yet, but it does look like your brahma is a boy.

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Boy.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I have to agree. The buff Brahma looks like a boy. They tend to feather out much slower than the girls.

6. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    It is harder to determine sex on the buffs than lights at an early age. The reason is that both sexes of buff's saddles come in buff. It takes a while for the males to get color in the saddle area, unlike the lights. I'm not sure what the other posters are basing their opinions on? You can lift up some of the saddles and see if any black is comming in, however, this bird still looks a little young.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Can't speak for the other posters, but I'm basing it on the comb definition - wider and redder and the feathering (or lack thereof). Cockerels of the brahma breed feather in slower.

8. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    Gritsar, I have found my light females feather in more quickly than the males about 100%. However, in my Buffs, that is not the case. I only raise/breed SQ Bantam Brahmas in Buff and Light. Their is only one bird of unknown age pictured. I don't see how we can compare feathering or comb color or width with no other photo of same aged chicks? You very well may be correct, I would just be afraid to guess at this point.

9. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    yup male

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I bow to your expertise. What I'm comparing to is the pics of my HQ buff brahmas when they were roughly the same age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by