1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahma Chicks - Boys or Girls Please? Update

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thailand, Sep 7, 2011.

1. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

Here I go again with my second round of bought-in chicks and hoping this time to have picked more girls than boys.

These babies are about 2 weeks old. All opinions appreciated. All boys will be sold or eaten as we already have two roosters (and only one hen). So trying NOT to love them, but is it even possible? Just way too cute.

Apologies these photos are not too clear (my camera has been playing up lately). If needed I'll get my husband to take better shots tomorrow.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick A

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Chick B

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Chick C

I wish I was a patient person, but sadly I AM NOT! Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on these cuties.

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    My Brahma rooster's comb was really evident when he was little...I was afraid he was a roo too. Then when we started getting the saddle feathers when he was older, I wanted to cry. Then he crowed.... [​IMG] I had to find him a new home.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Look out for chick B, but otherwise. . . . . WAY too young. Wait til they feather out more, and they're likely more easily sexable by feather color than comb size/color.

4. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Illia and Angela. I think I would SCREAM [​IMG] if they all ended up being boys!

Illia, when you say "look out for chick B" do you mean that out of the 3 this one looks most likely to be a boy?

I've done some research about sexing chicks and found something about the length of tail feathers for Brahma chicks. Apparently stubby tails can often mean a boy, and more developed tails can often mean a girl. That was about the best information I had to go on. Oh the pressure trying to pick girls!

Thanks for your input.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Agree. I wouldn't be surprised if chick B is a boy.

6. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    I had a pair of Brahmas and it was true with them that the female started getting tail feathers before male.
    That's the only thing I know to go on at this age.
    Otherwise, you'll have to wait until they are older.

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Brahmas tend to be very difficult to sex by their comb, for the first few months. What tends to tip of their gender would be coloration, or feathering. Males feather much slower then females.

8. Beckyhsinglsc

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:I found this to be the case with mine also.
    Did your chicks come sexed or straight run?
    Do you see a lot of differences in the feathering? It's kind of hard to tell if there is a difference if they are all the same sex but pretty easy if they aren't. (does that make sense?)

9. Beckyhsinglsc

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Agree. I wouldn't be surprised if chick B is a boy.

Are you guys sure you mean chick B? Did you notice that she has them labeled after the pictures?
    Chick B seems the most feathered to me.

10. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Quote:I found this to be the case with mine also.
    Did your chicks come sexed or straight run?
    Do you see a lot of differences in the feathering? It's kind of hard to tell if there is a difference if they are all the same sex but pretty easy if they aren't. (does that make sense?)

All my batches of Brahmas were straight run, and the difference in speed of feathering is rather vast. The males look rumpless with just some wing feathers for quite some time. When it comes to the columbian coloring that can be tricky. Even more so when it comes to poor quality birds from hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by