Brahma color questions - now genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silverfilly, Feb 24, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I placed an order with Ideal and and got 10 buff pullets and 3 males. After I placed I got to thinking I usually see light brahmas for sale. Is this becouse the lights are better? do they get bigger or lay more? I probably should have asked before I placed my order but....ooops...lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Light Brahmas do lay more, get bigger & still have that winning Brahma personality! [​IMG]

3. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Hmm maby I should call and add some lights then.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes order Light all Light, light , light light "Kick" yes. LOL LOl.

AL

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The lights are more common than the other two colors. In Europe, they have many more colors; all with the winning brahma personality.

Question if I may. Why are you ordering 3 males? Is that going to be your entire flock? If so, 3 males is 2 too many for 10 pullets IMO.
    ETA: I love the buffs, they are my favorite eye candy. Although I wouldn't take a million dollars for my handsome dark brahma roo.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I got 3 roos for each of the breeds I orderd so I can have a small selection and Ill cull the rest. Did not want to order one roo and it not turn out nice. I know they are just from hatchery stock but would still like to pick the best from what I get.

PS: the other breed is Astrolorps 10 pullets and 3 males.

7. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I love my buffs, they get lots of compliments!

8. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I am going to take this one step farther and ask a genetic question.

On the feathersiteI saw blue buff brahmas, I was thinking about puting a couple of the buffs with my splash orp roo and taking the pullets with blue and breeding them back to a buff brahma. would this give me the blue buff color? then I could breed up from there and cull like crazy. How many generations would it take?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by