Brahma crosses.. who is the mama?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kmpcfp, Apr 21, 2017.

1. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I hatched these out about 3 weeks ago. Out of the 9, I have ID'd the silkie cross and 3 Easter Egger crosses. Other possible moms are australorp, black copper marans, Wyandotte, Brahma, barred rock. I think that is it.

Silkie cross on right.. maybe a marans cross on left?
    [​IMG]

Wondering if this might be a purebred Brahma? If so, it's a male with the feathering right? He is also in the picture below, with an almost white chest.
    [​IMG]

This is another one I am unsure of the mom, in the center. I have two that look almost identical, have more of a redder head, legs are a bit darker, and they are more petite than the others.

[​IMG]

Here are the two black ones. I think the only with the heavier leg feathering on right is a marans cross. He/she came out of a darker egg.
    [​IMG]

They all still have almost non-existent combs.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You might have to wait until they mature more. The whiter thick legged one could be a rooster. As far as what mixes they are, it's easier to guess when they get more adult feathers.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both the Australorp and the Marans crosses will have white skin, the Marans cross chicks will have heavier feathering on the legs. Female chicks out of the Barred Rock will look similar, but will have yellow skin. You can only have a 'pure' Brahma if both the rooster and the hen are the same variety/color. They Wyandotte mixes will have cushion combs.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    too young. Please post new photos at 6-8 weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by