Brahma Crossing Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KinderKorner, May 31, 2010.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Alrighty. I need some opinions.

I am currently working on a few projects and have been deciding back and forth which would work better.

I want to remain as close to the brahma type as I can.

I have two choices. Crossing to Orps and crossing to Sussex.

Crossing to orps they seems to be more fluffy, cheaper, and more brahma shapey.

But crossing to sussex there is already a columbian pattern so keeping color correct would seem easier. They are larger I've heard.

So experts out there.

How hard would it be crossing to a black orp to get back to the columbian pattern. I realize I would have to work on leg color and single combs no matter which of the breeds I choose. But would crossing to orps be possible or do I really need to spring for a sussex?

Welcome any opinions.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Can you tell us what trait you are going for and what you are needing to pull from the Orps or Sussex. And are you wanting to get back to the Light Columbian or the Buff Columbian color ?

3. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I'm pulling color. But would like to keep it columbian.

I am wanting to get back to the light columbian pattern.

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hmmm I'm kinda confused, if you are wanting to get back to light columbian, ( Light Brahmas) then what exactly are you trying to get from the Orps or Sussex ? Just the size and fluffiness ?

5. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It's a secret. [​IMG]

What I am basicly asking.

Which bird is closer to Brahma Standards.

And would it be hard to get a solid color back to columbian with a few generations.

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    OK I understand that.

But I think you can get more columbians in the second generation if you breed to black, then breed back to the brahmas.

Have you considered using Cochins or do they have what you are looking for ?

7. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Cochins would be nice, but unfortunetly they don't have what I want in LF. Bantam I've already got some project chicks in the brooder right now. [​IMG] I'll share in a year or so. lol. Unless I can't take it any longer and I have to show pictures.

I'm actually having trouble locating SQ LF Light Brahmas. I've contacted everyone I could find. Yet still looking.

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  10. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Saw a handfull of good SQ lights for sale this weekend at the Southern Ohio show in Lucasville, Ohio. I would think the larger shows would be your best bet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by