brahma experts/owners please help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bangor777, May 19, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    HI, I have two light brahma chicks, they are 3 weeks 2 days old. I noticed this morning that one of them has a pink comb, slightly wider than the other. The other brahma has a yellow narrower comb. I don't see any wattles (sp?) and the legs look about the same, although its hard to tell. Also the pink combed baby makes a really pretty throaty warble (kind of like a bird you might hear outside) while the others all "peep". I would be excited if she were a he, fine if he's a she....but very curious. I'm terrible at the photo stuff. Any input would be appreciated!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sounds like you have one of each....cockeral and pullet...just a reminder that sometimes they fool us....they are slow to mature too....just their nature since they are a big breed....

3. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply! Have you ever heard the sound I'm talking about? It's almost like a purr or a trill. Its very pretty, and this one brahma is the only one who does it.
    Lori

4. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I have a light brahma who's 11 weeks old now, we are almost certain she is a girl, but she has always made a lot of crazy little sounds? Different from all our other chickens.

She also started getting some pink in her comb fairly early on, maybe 5-6 weeks, but even now its not red. Except of course when she gets mad [​IMG]

5. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    Thanks! They don't look any different from each other except for the combs so maybe it's a girl. I guess time will tell. I love the sound she makes, none of the other chicks do that.

6. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I have a Buff Brahma Rooster chick who is about 3 days younger than your chicks. His comb is very small and yellow, smaller than those of my Ameraucana and Buff Catalana pullets. He is my only Brahma, and I have noticed that while he is large in size, he is much slower to develop compared to the other chicks.

7. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Here are a few photos of my Eudora. A few people thought she was a roo from the photos above and some thought she was a pullet. She's 12 weeks now (no recent pics) and still no big changes in comb or wattle. And no crowing.

I am in no way, shape or form a brahma expert as this is the only one I have ever had. I do enjoy looking at pictures of other peoples chickens though. Hope these might shed some light.[​IMG]

This was maybe 3 weeks?
    [​IMG]

4-5 weeks
    [​IMG]

6-7weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I am definitely going to try and take some photos tomorrow so you guys can help me. I guess what makes me wonder is that there are two of them and one's comb is different. Time will tell anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by