Brahma Hen growling???

MadisonC

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
Hi all! I have a brahma hen that went broody and started fighting her sister, not any of our other hens, just her sister only. We had to separate them as they were going for each others faces and were causing injuries, I brought the broody hen in to clean her face to avoid infection and she's just started growling(?) At me? She was perfectly fine outside and let me pick her up just fine and was eating out of my hand, but now she's sitting in the tub and makes the growling sound when I go to touch her or pet her. The only other time she's done this was when we got her and she stopped once she was used to me. Does anyone know why she would start this again? Is she upset/hurt or is she comfortable with me? Like I said, its only when I go to touch her in the tub, and she's constantly keeping an eye on me, other than that she's acting normal, coming to eat out of my hand, resting near me, and even sleeping with her head tucked.

Edit: I should probably state that I'm used to the normal broody hens behaviours because we've been around the block with our hens before, but this just seems...different? Like it feels different, I know that probably makes zero sense, but I know our girls like the back of my hand and I just worry.

Last edited:
Edit: I should probably state that I'm used to the normal broody hens behaviours because we've been around the block with our hens before, but this just seems...different? Like it feels different, I know that probably makes zero sense, but I know our girls like the back of my hand and I just worry.
Have you had this kind of warfare happen before?
Every bird can be different in their behaviors and vocalizations...
...I wouldn't worry about it if everything else seems copacetic.

Back
Top Bottom