Brahma hen has injuried leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SundownWaterfowl, Nov 12, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Well, I noticed about a week ago that one of my Light Brahma hens had a very bad limp when walking. Then, this week she hardly puts weight on it at all. She just sits in the bottom nest box, so the roosters can mate with her.

Im thinking that she either was running away from the roosters trying to mate with her, and she slipped on the fallen leaves, or the rooster injured her when he mated with her.

I moved her into a coop by herself, so she can rest and hopefully recover.

What could it be? She is fine in every other aspect, not sneezing, etc. She is perfectly healthy except for her leg.

It isnt broken, but is it possible that she sprained it, etc. Please help, I dont know what to do.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Make sure there are no thorns, splinters, etc in her foot.

Other than that, it might be a sprain and isolation will help it to heal.

3. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:I checked and there arent any thorns, etc in her foot.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Did your chicken heal up? I have one with a suspected sprained leg... [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

Sadly I had to put her down. Im not sure what it was, but she was just getting worse.

6. BeardedChick

[​IMG] Bummer! How long did you give her to heal before you culled her? Mine has been hurt for a week, but she's also not wanting to eat. It's making it tough to take care of her...

7. SundownWaterfowl

She went downhill fast. So I quarantined her, thinking it could have been mareks. But she just kept getting worse, so it was more humane to put her to sleep, rather than let her suffer.

8. BeardedChick

Ok, thanks. Mine is just holding steady... Sorry you lost your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by