Brahma hen or rooster?

Ashleyjean

Hatching
May 14, 2015
Hi everyone,
New here and a new chicken mama! So excited about our babies and to join the chicken community :)
We got 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Light Brahmas a week before Easter, so they are about 8 weeks old now. Names are Lay-Dee Luck, Little Red, Heather Feathers, and Kamakazi (Kami). I am questioning whether Kami is a hen or a roo... feathers seem different to me than Heather's and also the body shape and personalities. That is how she/he got the name Kamakazi because ''she'' gets down really low then jumps really high and flies into the rest of our girls lol. Just seems a bit more aggressive, and stands out from the rest :)

Here are some pics of our two brahmas feathers to compare. Heather is on the left of all of them and Kami (roo suspect) is on the right. Would love some advice on this since I am new to this. Neither of them have much of a comb yet and I have not heard any unusual noises from any of them so far, so hoping to get an idea based on the feathers...

Heather: Kami:

Need a shot of the comb straight on, please. Pics of the back don't help at this age. The male saddle feathers won't be visible for another couple weeks.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm not seeing anything screaming rooster at the moment. I would say those are pretty pullets.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom